Written By: Ransom Garcia – 102.7 Coyote Country
Photo by Ransom Garcia
The Nintendo Switch is a wonderful quarantine companion, but it’s not perfect. The biggest problem for me, is the fact that it doesn’t naturally let you connect a pair of Bluetooth headphones to it. Thankfully, third-party companies have been making some pretty solid adapters to hook up your favorite pair of Bluetooth headphones to your Nintendo Switch.
Yeah, you COULD connect a pair of wired headphones to the console, but anyone who has ever gamed with a nice set of wireless cans knows how superior it feels to not be tethered to their device.
Going wireless means if you needed to get up to grab something out of the fridge, you could do so without missing a moment of a party chat. Or if you were playing in bed, you wouldn’t have to worry about accidentally rolling over on a cable.
So here’s how you can connect Bluetooth headphones to a Nintendo Switch.
Connect Bluetooth Headphone to a Nintendo Switch
- The first thing you’ll want to do is purchase a third-party adapter — but make sure it’s compatible with the device to save you a ton of trouble.
- The one I personally use is the GENKI AUDIO adapter, but at $50 I know it might not be the right choice for everyone. I, however, really like Genki’s adapter because it comes with a ton of accessories that make Bluetooth possible on the Switch’s docked mode as well as in handheld. It also comes with a really nice stand, which has been awesome to use on flights.
- If you only play your Switch in handheld mode, you might want to check out the Sunwaytek adapter. It has some decent amazon reviews and at $10 it won’t break the bank. Just be warned, some of the reviews do say that this adapter can be a bit tricky at times… but at 10 bucks, you get what you pay for it seems.
- The most popular adapter on Amazon is the Homespot 5.0 Audio Transmitter. As the name suggests, this adapter delivers Bluetooth 5.o and Homespot offers multiple color options. So if you’re the type of player who likes to match their accessories, this would be right up your alley. Homespot’s adapter lands at $40.
- After you’ve found an adapter that works for you, it should be as simple as plugging in and pairing with your favorite pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Bluetooth Headphone Recommendations
For those of you who also need headphone recommendations, below are some of my personal favorites at different price points to connect Bluetooth headphones to a Nintendo Switch.
HIGH END: The Sony WH1000XM3 Noise Cancelling Headphones are easily my favorite wireless headphones I own. The 1000XM3’s have set the standard for noise cancellation, they’re super comfortable, they offer 30+ hours of battery on a single charge, they have intuitive touch controls, but they’re also pretty pricey at $350. You can regularly find them on sale (which is how I bought them) for 50-100 dollars off, but if you’re looking for a premium wireless experience, you currently cannot beat Sony’s top tier BT headphones. However, keep in mind that Sony is rumored to release the 1000XM4 model within the next few months.
MID TIER: The Sony WHCH700N. The WHCH700N’s are currently $128, but like many of Sony’s headphones, you can regularly find them on sale. I snagged a pair for 80 dollars, which was a steal. They definitely don’t have the same build quality as the 1000XM series, and their noise cancellation is nowhere near as good, but they sound really great and they are remarkably comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
BUDGET: The JLab Audio Go Air True Wireless Earbuds. Don’t let the $29.99 price point fool you, these earbuds are packed with features and they sound really good! Even though these are the cheapest pair of wireless headphones I own, I honestly probably use these the most. Heck, I’m actually wearing them as I’m typing these words! Each bud has a 5-hour battery life, which is perfect for the Switch’s handheld mode, but the Go Air’s charging case adds an additional 20 hours of listening. They feature touch controls and you can also use these buds individually, which is a nifty little feature, especially considering the price.
Totally into cosplay? Spend hours developing the perfect look? Stuck at home with lots of time? Perfect! We want to see how your cosplay creativity is being put into action. Upload your best cosplay that you’ve created during your stay at home to get in the running to score a $100 gift card to JOANN Fabrics & Craft store. Submit your photo to the Quarantine Cosplay Photo Contest.