Summer is fast approaching and E3 is cancelled. Now, the Summer Game Festival is looking to take its place. Microsoft stumbled out of the gate with a confusing stream that kept promising XBox gameplay footage without showing any. The guys break down the snafu before talking about the Overwatch League, which is really struggling through COVID-19. They also talk about Streets of Rage 4, and take a look back Baldur’s Gate II on The Patient Gamer. All of that and more on this week’s CheckpointXP On-Demand!
This Week on CheckpointXP On-Demand
- (0:00) XBox Game Stream
- With no E3 this June, XBox is running a series of streams over the summer. The first one was held last week, and they’ve apparently forgotten what gameplay footage means.
- (12:00) Is Overwatch League in trouble?
- It’s been rough sailing this year for the Overwatch League and they don’t seem to be getting the same benefit of the doubt that other esports are enjoying from fans. How come?
- (24:00) Streets of Rage 4
- James dove head first into Streets of Rage 4 over the weekend. Now, he can’t help but feel the women are over-sexualized. Certainly, not the complaint we expected out of him.
- (34:03) Pewdiepie Youtube Deal
- YouTube signed one of their most popular content creators to an exclusive deal, and Weird Beard has an interesting take on why.
- (43:49) The more popular search
- Ric’s got a game for us to play! He’s found a site that shows what the most popular searches are by location, and the rest of the crew has to figure it out.
- (55:52) Gaming and Esports News –
- Fortnite holds its first Party Royal
- Guy who wrote the C + Joke for Sea Bass in Animal Crossing is sick of it too
- (1:07:53) Patient Gamer – Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition
- On this week’s edition of the Patient Gamer, Weirdbeard takes us back to one of the all time great role-playing games: Baldur’s Gate II.
- (1:17:54) Social Media Check-in
- We check in with our social media followers who turned out en masse when we criticized Microsoft over their concept of gameplay footage.
CheckpointXP – Your Home for Esports and Gaming
It’s our turn in the gaming community to show our support for the heroes on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic and Make It Blue. This will take many forms, and your creativity is encouraged! We all have something special we offer to the gaming community. Whether it be a live stream, fan art, music, memes, singing, cosplay, or even competitive esports, you have something to offer. And we’re asking you to make that special something blue! Use #MakeItBlue as you show off the special twist on your talents!
Check out last week’s episode here!
Lead Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images