What To Look For On Small Business Saturday – Comics And Graphic Novels
Photo by Andrew Toth/Getty Images for Hilton Garden Inn
If you’re reading this, let me first congratulate you on surviving Black Friday. You’ve braved the seas of people trying to save a few hundred bucks around the holidays. You managed not to be trampled, shot, stabbed, or otherwise maimed during this most joyous time of year. But alas, the four day shopping weekend is not over. With Black Friday in the books, we now turn our attention to Small Business Saturday.
Small Business Saturday started a number of years ago as many local businesses realized it was nigh impossible to compete with the major names in terms of advertising on Black Friday. And so, Small Business Saturday began to gain traction. Here’s some things to pick up tomorrow.
Comics And Graphic Novels
Comics and graphic novels are great gifts, but require you to know a bit more about the person you’re buying for. Fortunately, there’s some great series running these days, and also plenty of classics to check out. So let’s break it up by what your gift recipient is into.
Superheroes – Now of course, it’s not enough to just say superheroes. DC or Marvel is an important question and one you should ask your potential recipient. Don’t buy individual comics unless they’re a collector and you know specifically what issues they need. Here’s some suggestions of graphic novels to pick up.
- Hush – A Batman classic, although more recent than other famous books like The Killing Joke. Hush tells the story of the titular character who shows up with a vendetta against Bruce Wayne. It features at least cameo appearances from many of the major villains and has a good twist. Check it out!
- HOX/POX – House of X and Powers of 10 is a more recent series. If your recipient is reading comics currently, then odds are they’ve read this one. If they’re looking to get back in to the X-Men however, this is a great starting point.
- Watchmen – With the HBO series now running, it’s a perfect time to get back to the book that started it all. Allan Moore’s Watchmen is an all time classic and is fortunately still being printed today. Grab the graphic novel and dive in to get the full story leading up to the TV series.
- The Walking Dead – No matter how you feel about the TV show, Robert Kirkman’s original graphic novel is a classic. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get graphic novels or omnibuses that compile multiple books together. Enjoy seeing what’s different between the show and the book.
- Beauty – This one isn’t nearly as well known as The Walking Dead. It’s another title from Image Comics and is one of my favorite stories in recent memory. It’s about an STD that makes the infected incredibly beautiful for a period of time. Unfortunately, after that time elapses, the infected perishes in terrible fashion. Who is infected and who is just beautiful?
- Saga – It’s hard to argue against Saga. It’s one of the best series of the decade. It’s sold tons of issues, and it tells a great story. Grab the first volume and get ready to go on an adventure.
- Paper Girls – This was a big one when it came out and is still very popular. It follows 4 girls who deliver papers in a fictional suburb of Cleveland. The morning after Halloween, the girls are out delivering papers when a mysterious force from the future invades the town. Check it out!