CheckpointXP: On-Demand – Episode 157 – Esports Is Back!!!
(Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)
This week on CheckpointXP: Esports returns with Call of Duty and League of Legends in action. Plus reports from Genesis 7 and a discussion about what music fits with esports.
This week on CheckpointXP
- (0:00) Call of Duty League & LCS 2020 has Begun – It’s so nice to have esports to talk about again! The CDL kick off in Minnesota with the Rokkr, we’ll tell you how that went. Plus, League of Legends is back in action and testing out their new Monday Night League format. Joe Sloan joins us to break it all down.
- (12:03) Esports News & Genesis 7 Results
- Why Gary Vaynerchuk Invested in CDL Esports
- APEX’s New Legend announcement takes a left Turn
- NHL All-Star Weekend to Feature a Celebrity Pro-Am Gaming Challenge
- 100 Thieves creates the 100 Thieves Next program to help develop younger North American League talent
- Kentucky Bans Fortnite in High Schools
- ESL Pro League Announces New Format and List of Invited Teams for Season 11
- Genesis 7 Results – Fighting game tournament Genesis 7 was in action and Noris gives us the rundown of results.
- (24:05) Gamers.vote & Watch Dogs 3 Developer Gives Interview Inside Game – Steve Lipscomb joins the crew to discuss his site Gamers.vote which is a non partisan group dedicated to signing gamers up to vote. Plus, the developers of Watch Dogs 3 give a fascinating interview to the BBC inside their own game.
- (34:10) Nintendo World Announced For The US & Atari Announces Hotels – Every gamer got excited when they learned about Nintendo World that was being built at Universal Studios Japan. Now, you can be even more excited because one is slated to be built in Orlando. Plus, not to be outdone by their rival Atari has announced a series of hotels to be built in the US.
- (44:02) Video Game News & Looking At 10 Years of Video Game Profits
- EVE Online Ship sold for $33,000 to benefit the Wildfires in Australia
- NBA 2K players and studio pay tribute to Kobe Bryant
- World of Warcraft’s Next World First Race is On
- 100T CouRage hits major milestone after move to YouTube Gaming
- GTA5 Voice Actors Tease Fans on Instagram
- CSGO Player has a car crash into house during a stream
- From 2010-2019 Video Games were more profitable than music & movies – A statistic hit us this week saying that video games have been one of the most profitable forms of media from 2010-2019, so shut up Joe Biden!
- (56:04) CDL Hardline Call & Music In Esports – During the Call of Duty League debut there was a strange call against the LA Guerrilla’s that ended up costing them a map. Plus, the rap group Shredders performed at the CDL to a…mixed reception. So what type of music is appropriate for esports?
- (1:08:07) Activision Blizzard Esports Partner with Google – Blizzard signed an exclusivity agreement 2 years ago with Twitch for 90 million dollars. Now, all Blizzard and Activision leagues will be streamed exclusively on YouTube. Wonder how much money it took to get that deal done.
- Social Media Question: What game should our boss buy for the Switch?
Our boss is getting a Nintendo Switch, what game should be her first as a noob to gaming? pic.twitter.com/0cJeuHMw0w— CheckpointXP (@CheckpointXP) January 24, 2020